Meaningful learning and schema learning theory have various requirements. Meaningful learning requires 1. Learner’s condition 2. Learning Environment as a foundation for good learning. Schema learning theory includes the what and the how. What is the item, procedure, etc. and How do I identify it and its key features. For example, what is a dog? How do I recognize a dog if I have never seen it before. But for this to work, you have to build upon prior knowledge.
We talked about learning experiences related to meaningful learning for the week. It was interesting and engaging to hear what people had to say. Some people had personal learning experiences, others had personal teaching experiences. Each learning experience was rooted in EXPERIENCE. The best way to learn is through meaningful experience.
Bartlett experimented with effects of prior knowledge...this lead us to an experiment. Dr. Foreman took 7 volunteers...I was not one of them...I decided to observe (if you believe that I have a bridge to show you). Dr. Foreman told a story to the first person to come back in and had that person tell the story to the next person, and so on. It was amazing to hear what people remember from the story. People lost info from the story in the most interesting ways:
From
#1-#2: Names and specific details were lost (dynasty, symbol meanings, character names), change from mirror to glass
#2-#3: More details, (loss of # of roosters, rafters) maintained the meaning of the dream concept
#3-#4: loss of more details especially of the dream, additions of “folktale”
#4-#5: Added the “farmer”, changed the order of the meaning of the dream
#5-#6: Not much loss
#6-#7: Not much loss
#7- Dr. Foreman: Only detail from the dream was the broken glass, he visit a Buddhist Monk, all become clear when you become king, and the Buddhist Monk becomes and advisor.
The only constants throughout the storytelling was the concept of the dream, the fact it was a Korean Tale, and the person who had the dream became king...the rest was misinterpreted or lost.
--- This really makes you think about human history. Quite a bit of human history was maintained through storytelling and folklore...if stories were told over centuries how much was lost? How reliable is our non-written history? But then one realizes that the meaning survives...that is the beauty of human memory, we keep what is important and hold on tight.
Another learning quiz...I am glad she isn’t grading these because I don’t retain details from a book very well at all!
- OK yeah...this one was harder. Period. Discovering the answers in the book took a bit of time.
Gestalt theory — visual interpretation theory, “the whole is more than the sum of its parts” ,
The following create cohesion and meaning
- proximity
- similarity
- continuity
- closure
Memory theory:
- Organize – put things into categories
- Loci Method – visualizing locations of items
- Initial letter – take the first letter and make a word out it
- Rhyming – Use rhyming with phrases
- Imagery – form a mental picture of the word in action
- Pegword – for when order matters, object association rhyming with the number in the order
And of course, we couldn’t have an ITEC 800 class without talking about Muddle...we are responsible for all assignments on the old site linked on to Moodle, but only post the ones that ask for posts.
Mental note: Look at the lesson plan and get ready to present it to the class after our 2 week break.
Highlight of the week: Memory is SO interpretive. It is amazing what we remember, how we remember, and why we remember. Is it that we choose what to remember on a subconscious level? Why do I remember traumatic events more than peaceful ones? Why can’t I keep items from the text in my head for more than a day...it sure isn’t staying in short-term memory? I think we are in charge of our own memory, it just takes discipline and effort to get it to really work for you.
Thoughts?
===================================
Matt Harris
Director of Technology
Ronald C. Wornick Jewish Day School

1 comment:
6 Comments:
Anonymous said...
Thanks Matt. Your part about forgetting most of what was in Chapter 4 really resonated with me. I have a theory...about the theory. As I read chapter 4 I found myself re-reading the same sentence over and over again...searching for the connection to an association and that made retention difficult. We know that association is important in learning and that keeps it in long-term memory. When Dr. Foreman covered schema theory on the board using my example of my Texas experience and the links of class-mates-Texas-redmeat-unhealthy etc.-I got it. That I will remember. It really brings home the necessity to make those same links for our learners so that they can store the information.
Also, I think Chapter 4 has been the most dense reading thus far.
7:09 AM
Anonymous said...
Hi Matt,
You do a nice job of recapping what happened in class! I thought Dr. Foreman said that if assignments are not listed on iLearn/Moodle, she will not collect them. That was my understanding, anyway.
Claudia
7:43 PM
Patrick said...
Building brand new schema is incredibly tough without any experiential backdrop. Telling students that E=MC2 is fine but without any prior knowledge or history relativity, the students won't remember the concept. Learning really has to be an active process.
I was thinking about your comment about human history and the details being lost but the raw meaning surviving. People understood the tenuousness of memory even in ancient Greek times. Without printing and paper available for mass distribution, you rhymed. Proficient story tellers were were heralded with huge fanfare when they came to local villages. They held exalted positions in society for their ability to retain enormous amounts of information. They achieved this through linking the stories/events and the use of rhyme. Not since then have we in the western world attempted such feats of memory.
9:48 AM
Patrick said...
Matt,
Just a comment on the Blog for you:
I was just thinking that your Blog is an effective learning aid for me. I usually finish this week's reading, do the homework, post it, read your Blog, and then think about it and write a comment. You are helping me to review the last class and see if it meshes with what I just read for the current week. I should probably review your Blog a day or two after the class for it to really get anchored into my memory but it isn't working out that way right now. Thanks for your help!
9:56 AM
Anonymous said...
Thanks Matt for updating this blog each week. It is very helpful to me to review your notes before coming to the next class. I agree that the details from the book are hard to retain.. too many distractions causes info to not move from short term memory (working memory) to permenance.
THANKS AGAIN!!! -Nathan
3:57 PM
Anonymous said...
I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. life lost once is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.
4:28 PM
Post a Comment