Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Week 5 - Information Processing Model (if memory serves...)

Muddle, er, Moodle has struck me again... I kept visiting the ilearn site all week so I could make sure I knew what was due this week, but there was an Assignment due this week that either was mentioned in class (which is the most likely answer) or I just did not understand where to look for it. Well, we had a graphical representation of the Information Processing Model due...yeah, I missed that...or MAYBE, I failed to retrieve learned information because of a failure to encode, retrieve, or through interference.

To start the class, we had a discussion about the Research topic and the Glossary in Moodle. By the end of the term, each student is supposed to have researched a topic related to learning. Mine, obviously, is Blogging. Through the research, we are supposed to add a one page into the glossary about our research topics. In our summary of the concept, we are supposed to formulate how specific learning theories are applied. This, of course, all leads to our final project and our personalized learning theory.

I am still grappling with my own theory. Right now, I think my learning theory is one of personalized learning. I think there are so many factors into learning, there is no Silver Bullet (as they say in software development). Each person learns differently...it is figuring out their learning modality that provides the real challenge.

Mental note: Comment on 2 other people’s forum entries.

Dr. Foreman also highlighted the BLOG and how I am going to attach the blog posts to Muddle (darn I did it again...Moodle) each week...in fact I am typing this blog entry while she is talking about it... I wonder if people will find this useful...

Pop Quiz...not graded...this was a review of Behaviorism (through Information Processing, BTW). The quiz asked specifics about what we learned last week, not the spirit of what was learned. We had to even recall the inventors of certain theories...was this to illustrate a point of the IPM? Then we had to verify our answers...I won’t repeat the words I used when I realized how many I had gotten wrong...
- For me, I did not learn anything from the quiz itself...but after our group discussion I saw strong value in the test. Is that not constructivism?

Another Pop quiz, of sorts...this time we were separated into two groups...I have no idea what the other group did, but we were shown 20 items for 60 secs then sat down and wrote down what we remembered. I think I made up some of my responses...we’ll see.
OK, I thought we were the control group...we were not. We received instruction and hints, the other group was on their own. I got 18...I missed the Post-Its and the Screwdriver (tho I will say I thought there were post-its and wrote it down, but put a question mark down)
- The control group did really well. They should have averaged 7, but they averaged 15. We actually had someone get 20 and someone get 19.

The short term memory should only be able to hold 7 +/- 2 items, but we learn how strategies and techniques to encode that information so it doesn’t just die there. I think mine are all sub-conscious...I just remember, but others have mnemonic devices and story telling to keep that information around. How can we use this with students?

Knowledge is broken down into facts, concepts, procedures, and principles. With knowledge we can 1. remember (recollect info), 2. use (apply information), and 3. find (discover deeper meaning).

From the video, I remember the following the most: SCHEMA – Frameworks of pre-conception, physical alteration associated with memory, PEG WORD MNEMONIC associating using related concepts, Chunking – rehearse to make the info stay longer, Memory is networked, memory is encoded – stored – retrieved.


Highlight of the week: I think that Information processing is a misnomer...there is little processing here, which is to say there is little evaluation or thought. I think it would be more aptly named Information Retention and Regurgitation Model.

Note: Quiz on Chapter 3 is probably coming next week. Look at page 76 for further information.

Thoughts?


Visit the ITEC 800 website at:
http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~foreman/itec800/index.htm

Visit moodle at:
https://ilearn.sfsu.edu

===================================
Matt Harris
Director of Technology
Ronald C. Wornick Jewish Day School

1 comment:

ITEC 800 Blog said...

6 Comments:
kforeman said...
Matthew, thank you for your prompt posting.

10:02 AM
vaidis said...
Hi Matt,
I agree with you as to what I learned from our pop quiz last week. The group discussion afterwards, I thought was very valuble, especially the discussion on what need to go into creating not only a good but also an informative question.
By the way I haven't tanked you for getting the blog going every week. It's both informative and enjoyable. so Thanks!

4:59 PM
Britt Wotring said...
Matt-

Thanks for this blog and those that came before. It's so helpful to read a recap of the class. Especially, since I, like you, go back to Moodle almost daily to make sure I haven't "missed it" on an assignment. That is certainly the frustrating part of Moodle and it's adding some unnecessary anxiety to my life!

Thanks, again.
Britt

9:33 AM
Patrick said...
Moodled and bamboozeled....

I missed last week's assignment because I was watching *just* the posted moodle forum. Going online and posting assignments is new to me. I really thought that I was dotting my i's and crossing my t's by checking moodle regularly.

Like Britt, I'm starting to feel some anxiety over Moodle. Am I the only one not getting the current week correct? I feel like I need to do next week's work and review the last week's work so that I don't screw up again.

...and must post at least two reflections/comments. If my comment is buried within someone else's reflection, will Kim be able to see that I've posted for that week?

Moodle works when it is a one-stop shop, the assignments that are due are clearly presented, and there is uniformity as to when we post assignments/when you bring in paper. Right now it is stressing me out.

11:49 AM
Anonymous said...
Hey matt
I just wanted to say thanks for the class review on blog it really helps. Keep up the good work!

-Sacramento

12:30 AM
Nicole Montagna said...
thanks for the blogging! I really appreciate the recap and your contributition to the class. I was even inspired to set up my own blog. check me out at djgraziella.blogspot.com. nothing interesting posted yet but stay tuned. I'm a little Muddled by Moodle too, but I'm getting into a groove, checking the forums and the document icon that is listed with each week's module. NM

2:44 PM