Learning theories for the week...we talked about specific learning experiences and how to view them in terms of schema, context, and learning trajectories. I like this activity because it takes the (excuse me for saying this) banal and boring textbook learnin’ and apply it to not only real world issues, but real world issues that personally effect all of us in class. I think that this week’s subject is the most relevant given its links to community learning. All theories aside, Humanity is a learning community.
In discussing learning communities, we talked about the digital world as a learning communities. For example, sharing knowledge on the Internet. Moodle is our small little learning community. Google is a great gateway to tons of learning communities. We live in a special time because our learning and knowledge are growing and molding and building at exponential rates because the Internet breaks down the barriers that have separated us in the past. We have so much at our fingertips...
Similarly, we talked about the computer in general as learning tool...from logo to multimedia to HTML to today. The computer is a social learning tool. But how are we going to use it? We have made many strives, but there is a lot more to do. Researchers are looking into various ways to figure this question out. They bring their knowledge together as pieces to a large puzzle... How does the vast knowledgebase of the Internet play into this? How does Generation Y and their needs affect this? What will happen to our changing workforce?
We began talking about appropriate computer uses for kids. How early do you get them on the computer? How much time should they be on the computer? We talked about computer time as it relates to childhood obesity. The computer is a tool, but is it detrimental? They can’t write anymore...but is that something we should focus on. These kids live in a different world. We need to teach to that world. Kids now have different needs because they live in a different world. Technology is transparent...whereas for us we see the computer not the community.
The Blog is our own learning community...another nice little plug...
Funny moment of the night: Dr. Foreman mentioned she is going to summarize chapters from the textbook and move away from it a bit...this was met by muffled ROARING APPLAUSE. We all agreed that the textbook is dry and disorganized with inappropriate examples...maybe we are helping future 800 students.
Dr. Foreman changed the final project: instead of a final project, now a research project. Students are asked choose a topic, research it, and present it to the class. Instead of producing new knowledge, research and summarize existing knowledge. The form of the project is open: video, document, web page, etc.
After the break, Dr. Foreman “forced” us to visit other students ilearn entries for this week and comment on their learning communities and trajectories. This lead to a small group discussion where we further defined “learning community” and learning trajectory. It was interesting with my group because they brought in interpersonal communities and tech-based communities...there are several similarities, yet the tech community of learning grays out the line between various trajectories...one’s interaction with the community changes that person’s trajectory use by use. We had trouble really understanding and defining (especially finding an example of) outbound trajectory.
For outbound activities...we talked about passionate people having a real problem creating outbound trajectories, that is to say, it is hard to let go.
And then...we got to meet each other. As a refresher of people’s names and personalities, we re-introduced ourselves.
Mental Note: Try the Quiz on the top of Moodle!!! THE FINAL TEST QUESTIONS WILL COME FROM THIS QUIZ AND THE QUIZZES IN CLASS
In two weeks, when we meet again, we are going to talk about Gagne’s taxonomy. Learn the five different taxonomies and how to teach them. Then learn the 9 events of instruction.
- Pick 1 taxonomy and write a lesson plan using that taxonomy. This lesson should take 5-7 minutes. Make sure to apply the 9 steps. Group 1 will present lesson plans the first week back..Group 2 presents the second week back.
Mental Note #2: Don’t come to class for the next two weeks...if you do you are going to be very lonely.
Mental Note #3: And don’t forget about the Saturday classes. It will be in BH 170 from 9-5 pm. Bring FOOD!!!
Leslie Rule came in and invited us to the KQED Digital Storytelling Festival on Saturday and Sunday and Narrative Archeology on Friday from 6-9pm (using iPaqs w/ GPS for the storytelling).
HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK: Humanity is the ultimate learning community...and hopefully all of us are on the insider trajectory? Are we on a boundary trajectory?
Thoughts?
Visit the ITEC 800 website at:
http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~foreman/itec800/index.htm
Visit moodle at:
https://ilearn.sfsu.edu
===================================
Matt Harris
Director of Technology
Ronald C. Wornick Jewish Day School
Wednesday, October 5, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
12 Comments:
kforeman said...
Wow, this class is an awesome class. I want to be in this class. What am I saying? I am in this class. LOL (I asked my son what LOL meant. Now I am using it here, LOL). I know tonight's class was the most interesting class to me because the discussion touched our hearts. Real learning happens our hearts touched and mind are stimulated. Matt, thank you for taking snapshot of our class. It is a beautiful picture!
10:54 PM
Anonymous said...
Matt, I love your humor!
"Don't come to class in the next 2 weeks - or you will be very loney. Speaking of which if you like to laugh and check this e-mail today or tomorrow-Comedy celebration at GG park on Sunday...check it out.
Regarding class-I think the direction is just right and am very impressed with the technical expertise of my class-mates.
Jill McGillen
9:02 AM
Anonymous said...
My wife and I went to the Digital Storytelling event at KQED on Friday. I thought the project demonstration was very interesting and the implications are pretty amazing. Basically, you and a partner plug in to a gps enabled iPaq and listen as stories are told to you based on where you are and what you might be looking at. We were talking in class last week about the short attention spans of kids... well, my senses were a little overwhelmed by being immersed in the sights and sounds of the neighborhood while hearing different voices from the headphones. I’d be fascinated to hear how kids respond to it.
1:41 PM
Jon Hays said...
My wife and I went to the Digital Storytelling event at KQED on Friday. I thought the project demonstration was very interesting and the implications are pretty amazing. Basically, you and a partner plug in to a gps enabled iPaq and listen as stories are told to you based on where you are and what you might be looking at. We were talking in class last week about the short attention spans of kids... well, my senses were a little overwhelmed by being immersed in the sights and sounds of the neighborhood while hearing different voices from the headphones. I’d be fascinated to hear how kids respond to it.
1:41 PM
Anonymous said...
Hi all,
Just checking out the blog. The last time I did, I had to create an account, but now I know what to do.
Matt, you do a good job of summarizing what happens in class. I am enjoing the class and learning alot from classmates.
I attended the Digital Storytelling event on Friday. I was able to bring a friend (a bayarea artist) and she kept on exclaiming about how lucky she was to have been invited to the event (thanks to Leslie/KQED. It was a nice experience - doing the mediascape, talking to other attendees and also being given an unofficial tour of some of the studios by one of the editors. I am looking forward to our class digital storytelling workshops!
Have a good 2 weeks "off"
Dorothy
4:22 PM
Britt Wotring said...
Thanks for the blog, Matt. This week I was especially nervous that I was missing something on Moodle because we had no class. So your blog continues to reassure me of what is due or not due. It also is an excellent reflection on the going-ons of our class. This is continually helpful for me in my review of materials. I like how you emphasized how this particular chapter resonated so much more because we made it applicable to our personal lives. How true of all learning! Have a great week, everyone.
7:35 PM
arnoldammons5335 said...
I really enjoyed your blog. This is a cool Website Check it out now by Clicking Here . I know that you will find this WebSite Very Interesting Every one wants a Free LapTop Computer!
1:46 AM
Anonymous said...
Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!
Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.
Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)
Keep up the good work!
Thanks!.
8:52 PM
Anonymous said...
Hey nice info you posted.
I just browsing through some blogs and came across yours!
Excellent blog, good to see someone actually uses em for quality posts.
Your site kept me on for a few minutes unlike the rest :)
Keep up the good work!
Thanks!.
8:59 PM
banner ads said...
There is alot of Blogs, I never guessed I'd find some usefull information.
Thanks.
I'll be back later to see if anymore good updates are available.
10:47 AM
banner ads said...
There is alot of Blogs, I never guessed I'd find some usefull information.
Thanks.
I'll be back later to see if anymore good updates are available.
10:53 AM
kforeman said...
I am trying to remember my login number
1:20 PM
Post a Comment