Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Week 2: ITEC 800 Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Welcome back from the long weekend. I hope everyone got to enjoy the holiday.

We started off the Tuesday session talking about this blog.

Blog Writing
- Dr. Foreman has encouraged that two people per class period write in the class
blog. After reading each week’s blog entry, students should leave comments.

Exercise: Name Remembering
- After a week away from class it was difficult to remember everyone’s name. Faces are easy to remember as an association may have been applied. We then tried a strategy to remember. We associated an animal with the person’s name. (i.e. Brian the Baboon) This exercise proved to be able to help with learning names from the associated animal name. Erica was able to successfully name all students in the room. Go Erica! Angela was also able to name all of the students in the class with the help of people telling her their animal choices.

Reading and Taking Notes
- It is helpful to create a title when taking notes. It will keep you from taking too many notes and trying to remember too much information. By writing a title and getting the overview of an article, you can ask certain questions that might trigger memories. Just reading material only allows a 5% retention.
- Survey: A quick scan of reading the outline or titles.
- Question: After surveying, you ask questions.
- 3 R’s: Read, Rehearse, and Reflect
- Read: Read the material
- Rehearse: Take notes on the material
- Reflect: After taking notes, re-read the notes
- This is one way to organize material to help retain material.
- Graphic Organization: Drawing graphics will also help with remembering.
- Matrix: 2-dimensional (i.e. spreadsheet)

Web 1.0 vs. Web 2.0
- Web 1.0 was about one way learning. Teachers prepared material which was taught.
- Web 2.0 is about two way learning. With the use of open forums, people can lean with each other. This changes the teach curriculum completely.

Recommended Reading: The World is Flat – Thomas Friedman
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_is_Flat

Exercise: Compare Timelines and Present
- We got into small groups and compared our timelines.
- We then looked to see how we could present each era as a group.
- Each group will present for 5 mins.
- Each group will use a unique way to present a delivery method



End Thought:
How can we use new technologies more for education rather than entertainment? This will be our job to see how we can meld education and technology and help improve the progress of instructional technology.

Reading for next week:
Theory in Application (Handout)
-also refer to the ilearn page for other assignments and reference material.

Assignment:
Create a matrix to organize information based on the handout reading
- Different Categories (reference page 36 in the reading)

9 comments:

Joshua said...

Good note-taking, I got a lot out of reading it.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic work. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

The summary is great. The team exercise, in which we broke up into 8 groups and summarized the instructional technology timelines for certain decades, was a very helpful activity. I thought everyone was very creative in the way that they made their presentations. They were all very memorable.

The discussion about Web 2.0 was interesting. It is curious how the technology seems to naturally reflect ideas about learning theory: Would constructivism be the dominant theory?

The blogs, podcasts, virtual worlds, and uTube videos are vehicles for individual self-expression. Sharing of all of these ideas help create a self-correcting cosmic soup of perpetual learning that is governed by no instructional authority. In there own way, everyone is a subject matter expert, and they are at once teacher, learner, and artist. Is anyone studying this phenomena from a learning theory perspective? Could there be a new paradigm that might be called Socialist Learning Theory, which could become apparent the light of the technology? Could the Web be the place where true democracy is born? Who laid the egg, I want to know.

Erica said...

Great notes Brian! They really helped me to refresh my memory about all we covered in class.

You and Angie did a great job with your presentation about needs assessment. I thought it was creative and provided a great visual explanation and aid to remember the concept.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the activity we did in small groups, representing the decades of Instructional Development. Everything that groups did, from performing skits to making graphic organizers, helped me to understand (and hopefully remember) the concepts much more solidly than just reading the text.

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the activity we did in small groups, representing the decades of Instructional Development. Everything that groups did, from performing skits to making graphic organizers, helped me to understand (and hopefully remember) the concepts much more solidly than just reading the text.

SarahBeta said...

Ok I'm no longer anonymous and I didn't mean to post that comment twice... Learning curve!! So... that was me btw.

Anonymous said...

are we supposed to be anonymous or not? Anyway the blog was thorough. I need to get a laptop so that I can take notes for my blog. In my undergrad we could sell our notes to the bookstore and they would sell the notes to all the slackers who missed class. Money is such a great motivator!

Anonymous said...

Opps.. sorry about that. I guess I should have added that note at the end of the blog. I wrote this entry for week 2.