Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Week 10 ISAN Guest speakers discuss instructional technology



We all got to meet and eat and listen to current trends in instructional technology, thanks to our guest speakers Jay Cross, Dr. Curtis J. Bonk, and Dr. Robert Reiser. While Jay Cross is revered in his field, he seemed to meander and lack dynamic speaking ability. For those of us in the munchies auditorium, only about one third of his words were audible, so we focused on the cheese and crackers. I know I am not alone in feeling that those of us in the web-cast room did not get the same quality of experience and those who were crammed in with the “No. 30 Stockton Bus” feeling of intimacy in the live room.

Hands down, Curtis Bonk was the most captivating presenter (with or without the Borg mask!) Many of the topics that he touched upon were quite exciting, i.e., the physics professor who did morning online assessments to guide the content of his afternoon lectures and stated JITT (Just in time teaching). I would have liked a more thorough covering of these topics, bit I was excited about the talk, just the same.

Robert Reiser’s talk on problem-solving the issues of employee motivation and productivity was inspiring and interesting. The Century 21 example where senior sellers would share their expertise with novice sellers was a creative solution that inspired collaborative learning was refreshing to hear especially because it involved people would normally compete against each other.

Overall, we all left feeling that we learned something and that we have made a good decision to study Instructional Technology. I hope that ISAN can provide such forums on a more regular basis.

Desmond Rutherford

No comments: