OK, week 5.
Today we were graced with the presence of Athena Nazario, our friendly SFSU librarian, who delivered an informative presentation on conducting research. The PPT presentation is in iLearn under week 5. If you still have questions or problems you can email Athena at:
anazario@sfsu.edu
I won't cover the presentation much, since you can view the PPT, but there was a couple of interesting elements related to Google : the good, the bad and the ugly. Athenia used The Yes Men site to illustrate how web information can e deceptive. If you go to: http://www.gatt.org
and compare to: http://wto.org , the 'real WTO' site, you can see that they are nearly indistinguishable. The Yes Men apparently posed as WTO businessmen to lure outside parties, with success apparently. Interesting. The other example used was typing "Martin Luther King" into Google for results....one hit is www.martinlutherking.org which comes up as the third result. This is a frighteningly racist site that claims "true historic facts," which painfully underlines the reality that ANYTHING can be found on the internet without regard to accountability. There is scholar.google.com which is still in Beta, and the intent is for more scholarly articles, etc--but I'm not sure that it is imperious to bogus research hits...
http://democracynow.org was also a recommended site
link+ shared catlog--regional
iliad –national search form (found under document delivery in library web Page)
---all freee services
Databases:
For education:
ERIC
Academic search elite (recommended*)
Education full text
Other:
PsycInfo (mind and tech)
Applied Science & Technology abstracts
Communications and Mass Media Complete (influence of media on humans)
Use of ‘AND’ between words on google search is implied by google
To limit search use OR, NOT –use caps
If unsure, use part word—like 'construct' will hit 'construct', 'construction', 'constructivist', etc. uses all variations of that word
Break into concepts for search (concept AND concept OR subject).
Use subject words or descriptors to limit search
Click scholarly, refereed or peer review…to limit to popular articles
Use subject terms to get more search hits if hits are limited
If you retrieve a siting, but no article go to : elec journal list, or catalog
We all logged on to begin our searches….Athena came around to answer questions, etc.
_______
Dr. Foreman brought up the Net generation—folks born after 1982. Computers are connected to them—multi-taks—always connected.
More motivated? Dr. Foreman suggested that the Net Gen are more hungry for stimuli, knowledge, more motivated.
Training needs to change to accommodate Net Gen.
Edutopia—why did I write this? For next week, read Chapter 4 and listen to lecture link under Assignment for week 6 ---respond in forum.
Constructivism—digital story telling march18. This will be exciting! BRING:
Story: 200 words, music, photos/images. We will work together to polish our writing—read, use iMovie for our digital story telling. Story is about whatever we wish, maybe something that changed us, transformation..important event. We watched Dr. Foreman's DST project; a poem about coming to a decision about travelling to Rwanda to comfort the children and people who survived the genocide--very moving piece.
We also watched a Behavior video—a student from last semester(?) final project. I don't think I was alone in feeling a bit awed by the level of production involved in this video, however, I found some of the film imagery distracting to the theme. I kept trying to associate what I was hearing with what I was seeing, and, at times, it was a bit much. Nonetheless, the theory of Behaviorism was distilled in a way that most of us seemed to grasp and find meaningful. By the way, Anthony volunteered to make a copy for anyone interested--I think we just need to pass along a DVDR? Money, too? See Anthony for details!
Carmen brought up a question about positive feedback/reinforcement. Where is feedback, reinforcer w/ 15 yr old fat kid, her nephew, who creates a false profile and pretends to be 22, virile, handsome, etc and 'snares' girls on the web. Some thought it was strange, but others seemed to applaud the creativity...successful results--what is reinforced? Every individual needs different reinforcers...Are reinforcers less valid? Equal?
_______Cognitive Theory-
Encode, retrieve,
Sensory—attention
Short term memory—limited space
Lost w/o rehearsal or encoding strategy
Wee exercise: we all get to peer into box containing 20 items, we get 45 seconds to mentally log the items, then back to seats to write down as many as we can remember. I got:
Comb, Fork, Screw driver, Hair clip
Did Not get: Lipstick, Clip-binder, Candle, Cassette tape, Mustard
Dr. foreman:
Use a structure:
Group by origin, color, office supply, shape
Harder if no schema (ie office supply, food items, etc)
Terence(aka Mr. Memory)—recalled all 20!
Multi-media is good to reinforce different channels in brain—so use in creating instructional design!
Dual-code in play here
More manipulating (touching, some people verbalized items), more encoding..
We all are actively processing
Compare / contrast to help learners remember
Novel object we remember-but not too novel
Forget well-known objects…
Combine cognitive and constructive (const also encorporates behavior)
DIGITAL storytelling:
Constructivist project
If story accompanied the objects—we would remember:
3 types of long term memory
Declarative
Procedural
Episodic (story—easy to remember)
Dr. Foreman will be going to Japan, and speaking at a faculty development conference. Also she is going to go to Korea to speak at Korean Society of Educatonal Technology conference.
Remember:
For next week, read Chapter 4 and listen to lecture link under Assignment for week 6 ---respond in forum.
See you all on the 18th--bring 100-200 word story, 15-20 digital photos, music file, creativity and a dish to pass.
Desmond Rutherford

1 comment:
1 Comments:
kforeman said...
Desmond,
Thank you for this update. I want to post some pictures on this site, so can you e-mail me itec blogspot site password?
I had an all day workshop, actually faculty members who came to SF made presentations to other faculty members. About 30 people attended, and I was so impressed by their professionalism. When fifteen people from Hosei came for a workshop in SF, they learned about LSM, digital storytelling, learning theories, blog and wiki, concept mapping, etc. After they got back to Japan, they researched more, and applied concepts in their own teaching, and then they made a presentation. They organized this conference, which is the first conference of its kind. I made my presentation about an hour on teaching and learning with technology. These professors really stretched themselves, and applied everything they heard at SF workshop, made much better presentations. I enjoyed every minute of their presentation, and I am so proud of them.
4:20 AM
Post a Comment