8:55 am...I was actually early...a couple of us were. There is a ton of food...that is one of the best reasons to come...
9:20 am...We have printed our scripts and are ready to share in the circle...is mine going to be as ill-prepared as I think? Leslie told us to keep in mind that we are speaking to a specific group as a specific person...remember who you are and who you are speaking to.
The scripts alone, without the digitized elements, are so powerful. People really came prepared for this...these should turn quite well. Leslie reviewed a couple of the scripts and went into depth about the content and tone of the script...how will it play out on screen?
Leslie’s comments and suggestions about my work was VERY helpful and succinct. Her questions and suggestions were very thought provoking and helped reshape my project.
While listening to other people’s stories, I am so intent on hearing the message and feeling the story I am not worried about the way the story is told. I am listening to HIM or HER, not IT. This is an interesting lesson to take in...what do we really hear when we listen to a story?
“When all else fails, write a letter to someone.”
10:30 am...We broke up into 2 groups to speed up the process of peer evaluation for our work. While the setting was more intimate, Leslie worked with us and her control over the group remained. I partially wish I was in the other group because I felt their ideas were probably more free flowing than in our group where we listened to Leslie.
We are focusing so much on the scripts, and I have to ask the question...how important are they? Are we going to spend equal amounts of time on visuals and audio? Or is this an exercise to deal with the story? If this is designed to tighten the story why are we concentrating on the tone of words...only words?
11:30 am...break...
11:45 am...back to it. We are working on revision and scanning. People are putting the finishing touches on their scripts and getting their last minute photos scanned in for the digital project.
12:30 pm...Sound studio demo...we are starting the project creation...pre-production is over. Leslie is giving us a demo of Sound Studio, which is very intuitive...which is nice. She is talking about sound quality and file management. Once you have your voice in the computer...make sure you Normalize. Doesn’t sound to hard.
I am anxious to get to the technical portion of the project. I feel comfortable with my story and script and I am chomping at the bit to get it going...and finished. I can see it in my head and I want to get it done so I don’t lose anything.
12:45 pm...Leslie is letting us go...but she has to tell us about iPhoto and iMovie. In order to get your photos into iMovie (easily) you have import your photos into iPhoto and create an album. Once that album is created you bring them into iMovie.
IN iMOVIE, MAKE SURE YOUR KEN BURNS EFFECT IS OFF...otherwise there will be a lot of cleaning up to do. You can use it if you want...but add it later. Make sure your default time for the photo is 5 seconds.
She is talking about the timing convention: Hours:Minutes:Seconds:Frames there are 30 frames per second.
Now, she is talking about the clip view and the timeline view...remember that in the timeline view, you are looking at the clips based on clips and length...clip view it is just order.
Titles...try ‘em out. They are pretty simple...maybe you start with the title.
When you see a red line, it is RENDERING, so let it finish...it is making the clip or title or whatever ready for viewing.
In order to get your audio into the project, go to FILE -> IMPORT and import your audio. It will import directly to the timeline at the playhead.
Between clips, you may want to use transitions...ONLY FADE IN, FADE OUT, WASH IN, WASH OUT, AND OVERLAP because they don’t destroy the clips they use...any other ones are USE AT YOUR RISK.
Leslie suggest that you get a rough draft first before you get your transitions in, but has been told not to do that, just make it the way you want it. We are editing around the voiceover audio...so build from there.
She is talking about editing audio and splitting clips...
1:00 pm... AND THERE OFF!!!! Everyone is working like crazy to get their work done.
5:15 pm...after tons of work and and issues with saving/exporting WE ARE DONE...and getting to watch them...
They have turned out amazing...now I am heading home...let’s see if we can do something with the finished products later...stay tuned.
-Matt
===================================
Matt Harris
Director of Technology
Ronald C. Wornick Jewish Day School
Monday, November 7, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment